Thursday, May 20, 2010

True Story...

At one point, roundabout 2005, I felt it'd be a good idea for me to try drawing consistent characters. SHOCKINGLY, this plan did not bear fruit; I'm bored with my own drawing style halfway through everything I draw. Clearly, I should have given my animation major a leetle more practical thought before going through with it.

This one's new - it's lookin' like my consistency has not improved at all in the last 6 years. Go me!

All the rest of these are from 2004-5. And then I pretty much never drew these dudes again.


I just remember this guy's name was Connor Meile, after the line of vacuum cleaners. Not sure why, precisely, but they are good vacuums.


After drawing this guy, a very nice girl was enthusiastically emailing me about him, which was a little weird to me, as I think of everything I do as an isolated exercise in a corner of my apt, and am somehow always shocked to find out other people can see these things, too. Also, it's a little worrying to think that people may be looking to me for inspiration, since I spend the majority of my time drawing the dumbest ball-related puns I can think of.


He's carrying is some sort of weird old poison bottle I wanted at one point, but was not willing to spend 150 bucks on, because that is ridiculous. I'm sure somebody did, though. The jerk.


I really like double-breasted coats, but only on other people. I don't have time personally for that many buttons.


Adam, who is part owl, despite having neither wisdom nor comically round spectacles.


A lot of people still give me that exact same look.


I'm not even sure what this look means, but I can relate to it.


Dunno how he was planning on walking on those owl legs.


Sadly nerdily, I've also always had a thing for high collars and suspenders.


This sketch was originally captioned 'So I guess headphones make anyone look cool??' and got me a job with a book co in the UK when someone there came across it while looking for 'cool headphones'. Again, weird.


Super inconsistent, but I rather like this set.

No comments: